Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Living with Other People

So I figured it was about time I started an entry about this oh-so lovely topic. I live with three people, all female, and I can say that two of my roomates, I really like a lot. The last one...I can't FREAKIN' stand. I've come to realize how small things about a person can add up to a lot. I had never really had such problems with a roomate before. My freshman year, despite our different backgrounds and way of looking at the world, D'ann and I got along great! She remained a close friend of mine even when we were not rooming together anymore (and we weren't rooming together anymore because she moved off campus and I stayed on). My second roomate was the problem though. She was a BITCH and a TYRANT. I swear, I had to wonder if that girl ever left the fucking room. She really didn't bother me all that much because I was hardly ever in the room (I was taking 17 hours in the Fall and 16 in the Spring plus the RA course....and of course, I was heavily involved). But, when I was in the room, like at night- because lo and behold, this girl went to bed at 10pm.......WHO IN COLLEGE GOES TO BED AT THAT TIME???? I guess I was stupid and should have gotten the clue that she goes to bed that early- and doesn't wake up until 10 the next day. I had never known someone to sleep so much (well, I take that back...the Disliked Roomate sleeps alot). I tried to be nice to her and she responded like a bitch. I'm sure part of it would be that she would make a statement, and I would ask "well, why do you feel that way?" (I think my favorite was when

she said "Bush is a dumbass"
Me:"Ok thanks for stating the obvious, but why?"
Her response: "UGH! He just is"
Me: That's not going to win you any debates...

I admit, that was a bit of a smart ass thing for me to do......but hey, that's life. I think the main problem was that our personalities were so different. Somehow, deep down inside, I think she is a recovering Goth. It just struck me that way.

So we parted ways, and from then on out, the rest of my time at A&M, I lived in a single room, but I had suitemates, so it was a little like living in an apartment. My suitemate my senior year was amazing! She was funny, crazy, and just plain fun.

My roomates last year at VT were great. Tiffany is definitely missed! So now this brings me to my Disliked Roomate (DR). I thought DR and I would get along- she had had similar experiences to mine and she was studying in a related field. That's where they stop though. Homegirl obviously has not had responsibilty before. She was able to spend her undergraduate days galavanting around the world, which is nice, but then you tell other people they should do the same thing? Some of us have RESPONSIBILITIES! like jobs, school, and not enough money. I shudder to think that being a TA at VT is your first REAL work experience. (and please, teaching English in another country is NOT a job- and the people who hire you to do it know that, they know you are only doing it so you can travel to another country with a pretense). And when you talk about traveling, please don't act like no one else has done it. Dont' patronize me or talk down to my friends, especially since some of them have a hell lot more experience than you. (Especially, as I see it, you go to foreign countries, spend +1 month there, and don't even learn the language??? My Spanish is better than yours and FUCK you were in India in a program where you learn Hindi and you didn't even pick that up....are you really an "international" traveler or just an American tourist?) But yeah, Patronizing tone ANY time you talk to her. And it also shows when she'll come back from a hike and say "wow, you really should go.." Pardon me for the piles of book and computer I am sitting at doing WORK. You came to grad school to work and learn some professionalism. Are you just here to play? because I can tell you, that ain't going to get you a job, especially in your field (look at your loser no-personality boyfriend...what is he doing? working for Blacksburg???) Oh and my favorite is when DR made the comment "OH! someone's being domestic today!" the first time she saw me cooking at home. EXCUSE ME?!? Just because I am cooking a meal for myself does not mean I'm "domestic" i means I can provide and take care of myself, which is the least I can say for you (Yeah, do I need to remind you that the one attempt you had at cooking dinner, I ended up having to cook for you??) I really get annoyed with these "feminists" who think that cooking dinner, knowing how to do any so-called "domestic" tasks- makes you less of a "strong woman." Face the facts- you have to know how to do some of these things in life, otherwise you will end up asking for help all the time. And besides, as a feminist, I do advocate women being able to do all these things, not so much for their husband, but for themselves. (And honestly, if you can cook well, you can def. have control over your man).

So what else does Homegirl do? Does not lift a finger to help in the maintenance of the apartment (I actually think that this is where most of my ire perpetuates from)- I have never once seen her clean our bathroom or the living room, or even take out the trash for that matter. I think the worst was when right before Thanksgiving Break she and I said "ok, we're cleaning this this weekend." Guess who got stuck with it....yeah that's right...me. And who kept walking by and not offering to help, and even went as far as to idiotically say "oh wow, someone's on a cleaning spree!" Oh Bitch...no. And EVEN more did not even take the trash that was by the door out when she went to take a bag of trash from her room that wasn't even a quarter full (this brings me to another point- she has all these obnoxious "my carbon footprint is smaller than yours" type deals- WHY THE HELL are you throwing out a half-filled garbage bag....isn't that just making more trash (in the form of another plastic bag)- fucking hypocrites). So when Homegirl realizes I'm pissed, she comes up to me and says "I really appreciate you doing this.." FUCK no you don't. You just like the fact that someone else is doing it. To which I just looked at her and thought about what to say- be a bitch or be diplomatic. I think I took the middle road and said "yeah, hopefully it will stay clean" Her: (laugh that sounds like a damn cough (she does this alot when she talks and it sounds like she is hyperventilating and its annoying too)): Oh I'm sure it will.

Will it bitch? Last I checked, you aren't doing anything to make sure it stays clean. For some reason, more than any other roomate, this girl pisses me the hell off. I honestly think alot of it has to do with the maturity level- she's still a kid at the age of 23. I have no problem with acting immature and having fun, but I also realize there is a time and place for that.

Whew- rant over. I feel like punching her face now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did u realize that in a way, ur roomie is hilarious??

No, I think it's more difficult to see from your point of view.

Best of Luck!!
Hang in there... :)

Buggy said...

you know...it is true- there are times I do laugh about this :)