Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Feminist Male

I truly have a respect for men who are not ashamed to make the claim that they are feminist. But then there are those that may not necessarily claim to be feminists, but claim to be progressive thinkers on women's issues- and prove to be anything but.

In my mind- they are public enemy number one for all women. They are men who claim to respect women, yet throw them away with each day's trash. They are the ones that claim to break the patriarchical structure, yet saddle women with the yoke of that oppression.

I am not saying that there cannot be feminist males, but rather, an understanding of what is means to be "progressive" on women's issues- what does it mean to have the lived experience of being a women- and understanding that there is a diversity of women's experiences and how they interpret and interact with their perceptions of reality.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is exactly my thoughts on the subject. Can I tag this in my blog? (Of course with your name on it)