Monday, September 1, 2008

Ramadan

Today marks the first day of Ramadan, and I have made the decision to observe- as a way to learn more (through experience (There is only so much you can read from books....)) about Islam and as a sign of solidarity, but also a way to re-center myself spiritually. 

Just in one day's time of fasting - I feel a greater awareness about my conduct in the world and my conduct with others. The whole month of Ramadan is a time of greater reflection and prayer- and certainly- I feel those effects.

When I feel hungry- I begin to think of those who go hungry for days on a normal basis. About the current food crisis we have, the environmental destruction of corporate farming, and the human cost of the same.

When I feel thirsty- I remember those who have to walk miles each day to procure the water they need for their daily meals, or stand in lines to have access to a clean drinking source, or even those who are forced to drink water that is inadequate.

And when I feel the temptation to break the fast- I realize how weak I am, vain, and selfish. That God provides the strength, will, and compassion that I need. I also think about the times I have been too headstrong, stubborn, prideful.... And realize that all that I have is because of God.

Ramadan Kareem !

No comments: