Monday, January 29, 2007

Communication, Please

So I think today's theme is communication.

Today, I held my first English Conversation Class. It was fun. The two students I had are both spouses to graduate students at Virginia Tech. I felt so invigorated to be surrounded by people who were so eager to learn. I think that is the type of environment I have been missing here the whole time thus far that I have been at Tech: finding people who are excited about learning, just for the sake of learning.

And another side of communication- disputes, arguments, and conflict. It's funny how communication can play such a multi-faceted role in each of these. Communication, or lack thereof, can spur all three of these to occur. Arguments and Disputes, particularly, happen because of what was said, or left unsaid. Opening the channels of communication, if cooler heads prevail, can help diffuse these sitautions. But communication, if tempers run hot, can also worsen an already bad situation. I have a feeling that if people just got the gumption to say what needed to be said in the FIRST place, and not talk around the point or withhold necessary information, this world might be a lot better off than it is now.

Rant done. Schoolwork to be done....sigh....

On a side note, Seby started a blog...go forth and visit!

And I have Rilo Kiley's Accidental Death stuck in my head...check it out.

No comments: