Tuesday, September 25, 2007

NEW YORK...er...New Jersey...or my spontaneous moment of the week

So...what happens when someone plants an idea in my head, and I can't get it out? Ask Bala about that one.

I'm minding my business, watching the Aggies (you know, this weekend had made me forget about that game...) and being fairly disappointed, AND, at the same time, writing a horrid paper for Dr. Toal's class, when I get a message from Bala.

The conversation went roughly like this:
Bala: Dude, come to NYC.
Me: ...I'm intrigued....but why don't you guys come here??
Bala: (something New York being cooler...whatever, blah blah blah) So yeah, you should come here.
Me: Let's see..........(5 minute pause while I check kayak) ok...I'm coming.
Bala: Ok.......wait....what? You just booked tickets..
Me: Yes.
Bala: And you are going to be here tomorrow.
Me: Yes.
Bala: Spaced out.

I proceeded to call Subash and Heather and let them know, and they were surprised, but I think, at the same time, a bit expectant that I would do something this spontaneous and impulsive.

Friday was a bit of a whirlwind, between classes, packing, catching the bus to the airport, and landing in NYC. Luckily, the flight to NY didn't take as long as it seemed; someone else I knew from Virginia Tech was also going to New York for the weekend, so she and I sat near each other and talked (the flight was pretty damn near empty).

Well, I land in LaGuardia, and I call Subash to let him know that I landed....and no answer...hrm....I think...well..I proceed to baggage claim, and lo and behold there is Mr. Subash Srinivasan. So we grab the luggage and through a series of busses and trains, get to Times Square! Subash works for Ernst and Young, and the office is right off of Times Square, so as you can see from the picture...the view is amazing.

From there, we went and met Bala in the village and started a long night of imbibing and debauchery, well into the morning. There are still some moments from that night that are coming back to me....I do remember now saying some not so nice things to the cabby in Hindi...because he was trying to get more money out of us for some reason. Whatever.

The next day, went and had some good South Indian food at Dosa Hut, but it was a shame that I could not enjoy it more- I was a bit blegh in the stomach...but that is expected after the night we had. The afternoon consisted of just random things and then going to Bala's. Bala cooked some excellent sambar, and from his place, he and I went to a couple of parties in Manhattan. The first one was kind of lame (no lie) and so we were only there for about an hour, and proceeded to a party at a lounge. This was a kickass party! It was right off Times Square on a rooftop terrace. We stayed out pretty late and then went back to Jersey. By this point, I was starting to become nocturnal.

Sunday mostly consisted of random errands and events (a cookout- with excellent food :) ) and getting ready for the work week (well...that wasn't me...because we all know how I work...). Later that evening, I took a train up to Upper Manhattan, and met with Heather and Nathan!! It was great to see them and spend time with them. On Monday, I met Bala for lunch...went to Central Park to read, and then hung out with Heather and Nathan around Columbia. Columbia was having some intersting things going on that day, as the Iranian president was there to give a speech. So naturally, there were a lot of cameras, protestors, and the crazies. I got interviewed by some journalism students doing a project. I'm a star now. Look for me on CNN someday.

So this morning, I caught a taxi and booked it to LGA. And when I got back, I just crashed for three hours. It was glorious. So now, I'm trying to get some schoolwork done. I'm amazed at the amount of work I didn't do this week....and the suprising amount of time it has taken me to get some of it done. I guess when I am under stress I just focus more....so yeah...and in three days, I'm leaving to go to Purdue!

Overall, it was an amazing weekend.....great to see old friends again, who made this such an amazing weekend! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had fun girl, a well deserved break. New York New York.............thats a fun place.