Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I would tell you....but I might explode

...Ok...this is the post where we find out how weird Bernie can be sometimes. I notice that whenever I am upset, writing helps me. If someone were to ever pick up my diary, they would think i'm either pissed off or depressed all the time (never mind that the dates maybe five months apart). I think giving "voice" to your feelings really does help with the catharsis of those emotions.

I think the weirdest thing I do is that when someone really upsets me, I start to write an email to them (dear Lord! not one that I actually intend to send!). It helps me, sometimes more than writing in my diary because it forces me to put more into context what I am thinking and my own actions. It temper me a bit, not only in my words, but in my thinking as well. But overall, it helps me to give voice to my frustrations when I can't say them directly to the person who is bugging me (either that is becuase they are not right there or out of phone contact or just not being communicative)....which, ultimately is usually a reason for the frustration- sometimes a simple yes, no, or how are you doing would be nice- and not really difficult to do.

Other than that, I play really loud Blood Brothers and jam out to that. Because angry music is the best way to soothe the beast in my mind. Rock 'n roll!

What are some of your ways of dealing with anger?

3 comments:

Alban said...

Drink, then and you won't sleep for more than 3 hours during the night. You will have the rest of your night to have imaginary dialogs with the one that upset you (imaginary conversations always turn well).

Finally, you take your job à 8:30, tired, and you are still thinking about it.

Pfff. Maybe I should find something better. Maybe your thing with the draft email is less exhausting.

Buggy said...

haha! I like that too! Although I would be a bit afraid that I would start throwing objects!

Anonymous said...

I do something pretty similar... I just imagine that the person is there in front of me, and go ahead and give her a piece of my mind, mentally...

So if you see me in a grousy mood, muttering away things that you can't hear at all, you know what I am up to!! :P