Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Fathers, My Brothers, and My Uncles

This is a bit late, but here are my reflections from this past Memorial Day. The 5th since the war in Iraq started, the 5th, to see over 4,000 lost.

I come from a family that has served our country in its time of greatest need- grandfathers that fought in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War II. They have risen to the cause when it was needed most.

I reflect on my dad and my brother- both currently serving in the military, and my fears that my brother could be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan- yet his complete willingness to go.

And then I worry about the failed trusteeship of our elected leaders. They use the military at will without regard for the consequences- the post-war effects of combat, stress, and loss- the loss of time and your buddies who stand next to you in battle. The attitude of their expendability- yet the other talk of "we support our troops"- but won't enact a bill to ensure their families aren't on welfare or that they have the proper equipment in the field of battle.

No comments: